Little Reminders


A couple years back we bought a van to have at the Mexico house (I see why people like vans)  Fast forward to a week or so ago.  We’re driving around town and the car won’t go up a hill; turns out it's the transmission and we take it to the mechanic.   A couple days after picking up the car from the mechanic, we took my parents to the airport and given the airport is 2 hours from the town we are calling home, we decided to make a trip out of it and stay in Guadalajara for a few days.


We are 20 minutes from the airport when the car begins having issues…  Luckily my dad and Bren are in the front seat and with that peace of mind, I fall asleep within seconds, meanwhile the kids watch a movie.  The car struggles but we make it to the airport, park it and turn it off.  At some point while taking out the luggage, we attempt to turn on the car.  Failed attempt.  Tension begins between Bren and I and we are not seeing eye to eye.  Our minds think differently: I’m looking for a plan and he’s thinking of the dangers.  This creates frustration on my end because I’m still looking for a plan and I don’t want to hear long winded thoughts.  And now he’s feeling frustrated because he’s not feeling heard.  This goes on and now we’re arguing in the parking lot while we’re attempting to say goodbye to my parents (whom we won’t see for about a year.)  It was a scene.  I realize we are going in circles and I say “I need some food!” Me and the kids head to the nearby store to get a snack and Bren stays with the car since the window won’t roll roll up given the car won’t turn on.  During this time, we’re both able to breathe a bit.  When we get back to the car Bren apologizes (Bren tends to pull it together and doesn’t like conflict. I tend to air it out)  It takes me a bit and I also apologize.  



At that point, it’s behind us and we’re able to move forward.  So much so, that the process that follows feels like an adventure and we pause to smirk at each other and say “This feels like traveling”  With food in our bellies, we attempt to turn the car back on after we had let it rest for 1 hour (Mechanics orders).  Another failed attempt.  Finding someone to jump start us was going to be a little tricky because we were in a parking lot and our jumper cables were only so long.  Luckily we run into the woman who is in the car directly in front of us and the car turns on after a jump!  Given this car had been in and out of the shop the past couple weeks, we decided it wasn’t a good idea to attempt driving it back home (2 hours away) with 2 kids in the car. I make some calls and I have a plan.  Now we’re both feeling good; Bren doesn’t feel his family is in danger and I have a plan for my family.  


Car on, means we have access to car feature.  Van features.  3 TV’s - not sure why so many, outlets to charge devices, and bucket seats that recline.  We settled in and put on a movie while we waited for the mechanic to meet us.  We were watching the new Little Mermaid - I hadn’t seen it yet.  You know how the story goes: Ariel & Eric fall in love at first sight, Ariel loses her voice and must kiss Eric before time runs out. They almost kiss multiple times. And when they finally kiss, the blueray scratches, skips the kiss and forwards to the next scene.  We missed the plot.  It was a reminder that life is not about the kiss, it’s about the journey leading up to the kiss and all the beauty after.


We meet up with the mechanic and he drives the car home.  On the ride we talked about many things: the car, family, health and how things happen for a reason.  He told us 2 stories having to do with clients whose cars were not functioning and how the owners moved forward.  One story ended in death and the other in a life transformation.  We didn’t end up doing our Guadalajara trip this time and I’m sure there was a reason, one we may never know the reason to.  The mechanic was a reminder that things happen for a reason.


This trip was one of many reminders.  And a reminder that we are traveling.  Shea asked “Did this happen on your honeymoon?”  Bren and I chuckled and responded “many times.”  He asked “Was it hard?”  And we collectively responded ”Sometimes and it made us stronger.  We realized we were a really good team.” Linda  “And we learned that even when things are hard, if we communicate through them they become easier”  Bren  Our children saw us apologize to each other, they learned that things don’t always happen as you plan and that you can roll with it and it is part of the journey.


Comments

  1. This post is my favorite!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love it! Out of curiosity, do I know who this is writing the comment?

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts